Machines usually need a carburetor to function, but small machines such as lawn mowers do not have the space to accommodate one. That is why they come with a primer bulb that acts as a replacement and ensures that the lawn mower is functioning smoothly. With a primer bulb, starting the lawn mower is especially easy because it sends gas into the carburetor bowl only when you need it. Other times, the bowl is empty.
What is a Primer Bulb?
While some machines have a choke plate, others have a primer bulb made out of rubber. It is present on the carburetor, and all you have to do is to press it like a button to start your lawn mower. It works by squirting fuel into your engine. It is the easiest way to use a lawn mower, and many users swear by it.
However, in some unfortunate cases, the primer bulb gets damaged or stops working. The good news is that you don’t have to panic or run to buy a new lawn mower. The better news is that you can employ alternative methods to start your mower!
How to Prime a Lawn Mower Without Primer Bulb?
Here is one of the easiest and the most reliable alternatives. Read on:
- Find the air cleaner and remove its cover. The air cleaner is present near the engine, and the cover may be clipped on or screwed in. Use the best method to remove it accordingly.
- Proceed to remove the air cleaner itself. Be very careful to memorize its location as you do so.
- The housing should be clearly exposed by now. Take starter fluid and spray some of it in the hole that you see in the housing.
- Quickly put the air cleaner back in its original position and replace the cover. The reason why you should be quick is that starter fluid tends to evaporate on exposure to air. Avoid it by being swift in your action.
- Now, your lawn mower is ready to use without the primer bulb!
The method is super reliable and does not take up too much of your time. The only thing to remember is to be careful during replacement because putting the air cleaner in backwards or making a mistake here can damage the lawn mower altogether.
Did this article solve your query? Is there anything else we could assist you with? We would love to hear from you. Please feel free to Comment!