Traveling sprinklers are a true blessing if you have a large lawn that needs regular watering. Tractor water sprinklers, or walking sprinklers as they are sometimes called, have wheels that move the sprinkler forward. The best part is that these wheels do not require electricity or gasoline to run. They use the force with which water is projected from the hose to move around your lawn.
Impressed? Here’s a list of some of the best traveling sprinklers available in the market, to help you choose your very own self propelled sprinkler.
The Nelson Raintrain boasts of being one of the very first lawn sprinkler tractors. Similar to its cousin that we discussed above, it uses the power of water to move around the lawn following a customized hose path. Let’s take a look into its pros and cons:
- The device can travel up to 200 feet and covers an area of around 13,500 sq ft.
- Its speed can be adjusted according to your need and soil type. It offers three speed choices.
- Comes with an automatic shut-off that minimizes water waste.
- The device is reported to have poor gears that can fail upon prolonged usage.
- It gives a low throughput which makes it take a long time to water a relatively small area.
Orbit Irrigation 58322 Traveling Sprinkler is a self propelled sprinkler for irrigation systems. It has a covering area of up to 13,500 square feet with along a 200 feet of hose. It comes with a 3-position adjustable speed control: high, medium, and low. Let’s take a look at some of its pros and cons:
- The sprinkler comes with 3-position adjustable speed control: In high gear, it travels at about 37 feet per hour. In low gear, it travels at 21 feet per hour approx. This makes it flexible in its function.
- You can adjust the pattern based on your lawn’s area.
- You can place the shut-off ramp at any point along the hose to stop the device.
- Comes with adjustable spray arms that can cover any diameter from 15 feet to 50 feet.
- Has a sturdy, waterproof, cast iron body and its powder-coat paint makes it durable.
- The most obvious drawback is its heavy iron body that hardly makes it portable. Also, the heavy weight might cause it sink into soft soil, making it hard to travel.
With the front wheel firmly sticking to the path of the hose, you don’t have to follow this traveling sprinkler around while it waters your lawn. It has a sturdy cast iron body that makes it long lasting. The following are some of the other advantages and drawbacks of Farm & Ranch’s self propelling sprinkler:
- This traveling sprinkler propels itself on path laid by hose saving you the trouble of setting it straight every hour
- Comes with adjustable metal arms for custom coverage. This means you can set the device to cover your garden based on the area you want watered. Covers up to 13,500 Square Feet and 131 ft diameter.
- Has a long-lasting cast iron body and plastic wheels & fittings
- Has a moveable ramp stop that automatically stops its path based your preference
- The tractor is heavy in weight and slow in motion. This could cause it to take a long time in watering your lawn.
- The arms move circularly. This makes it hard to cover enough area unless the tractor moves.
This raintrain traveling sprinkler from Nelson is made from a steel material which makes it strong and durable. At a time it has the ability to travel up to 200 fta and covering an area of 13,500 sq ft. The following are some of pros and cons of Nelson 50970, to help you make an informed pick:
- Built with a steel body, it is strong and durable.
- It is propelled by the water pressure and the centrifugal force caused by the rotating arms.
- It minimizes water wastage and works well even when you don’t have enough water and a large area to cover.
- The little ramp that comes with it can be set where you want the sprinkling to end. The sprinkler shuts off on its own when it reaches this spot.
- It can follow curves that have a radius of 10 ft or more.
- It only works well when you have a large open area that needs sprinkling. The arms of the sprinkler should be given enough space to rotate. This means using this in a closely packed flower bed may be a bad idea.
- The sprinkler is heavy which makes it hard to move around. Also, given the weight of the machine, it can sink into loose soil in your yard and get stuck if you are not careful.
Lawn Rescue traveling sprinkler follows the path laid down by your hose and is capable of covering an area of 200 ft. The back wheels of the traveler are spiked to offer traction. This also helps in aerating your lawn along the way. The strong metal frame sets it in places and prevents it from tipping over. Let’s take a look at some of the other advantages and disadvantages of Lawn Rescue traveling sprinkler:
- It is designed such that it follows the path of your hose across the lawn.
- It is capable of watering areas up to 16,500 sq ft
- Comes with three adjustable speed settings that users can choose based on their lawn area and soil type
- The back wheels come with spikes making it suitable even for irregular-shaped lawns
- Allows users to change between minimum and maximum spray, depending on the area and amount of water needed
- Comes with automatic water shut-off thereby minimizing water wastage
- It comes with an assuring 7-year limited manufacturer’s warranty
- Has adjustable spray arms allowing users to set the angle based on the area that needs to be covered
- It is reported to move very slowly unless going down a slope. This makes it hard to use on an even patch of land.
- Also, the heavy body weighs the device down, making it hard for it move on a grass-free area.
With a little research, it is not difficult for you to find an efficient and durable lawn sprinkler for your garden. Make sure that you pick one that is eco-friendly and saves water. We hope our article makes your search for the perfect walking sprinkler a tad bit easier. Happy gardening!